Magikarp Crochet Hats

October 20, 2017
Guys, this project...phew! At a wedding a couple of months ago my friend Chris (yes the same Chris as the last post) said some of his workmates had seen a Magikarp crochet hat online, knew I crocheted, and had jokingly suggested that I make them some.

I said that if I Googled it, and could find a good pattern, I would get right on it. I managed to find this free pattern on Ravelry which looked awesome, and so I offered to actually make them. It turned out they wanted three adult hats and one child's hat. I decided for the child's hat, I would try and recreate this one I found on Pinterest by using a simple beanie pattern (I used this one because I liked the way it looked, but without the eye obviously) and then simply used the original Magikarp pattern for all the extra bits.

So first up, the adult hats! I made one in the suggested hook size (4mm), and while it fit me, I was a bit worried it would be too small for the other two male recipients. So I set that one aside for the female recipient (hoping she has the same head size as me!), and sized up to a 5mm hook for the other two. The bigger size fit Donald, so fingers crossed!

Magikarp crochet hats

Magikarp crochet hats

Magikarp crochet hats

Magikarp crochet hats

Magikarp crochet hats

Magikarp crochet hats

Magikarp crochet hats

Magikarp crochet hats

Next up we have the kids' hat. For this one, I left off the lower fin and put a little mouth on the front, as they had done in the reference photo I used. I used the 4.5mm suggested hook for the hat, made the child's size, and then used a 3.5mm hat for the details so they were a bit smaller.

For the mouth, I just crocheted a long chain, joined it with a slip stitch, and then crocheted htr stitches all the way around. I also made the barbels a little shorter, so they weren't hanging in the kid's face! It's quite stretchy though, and I can actually fit it on my head, so please excuse my stupid modelling.

Magikarp crochet hats

Magikarp crochet hats

Magikarp crochet hats

Magikarp crochet hats

So let's talk about the pattern overall. I am so happy with the way these hats turned out but man this pattern is a pain in the butt. The pattern comes with the warning - "Caution! This pattern has not been beta tested. Stitches have been counted to the best of my ability, but there is a reason I’m not a mathematician (or a census taker). Your results may vary; proceed with care!". So I was expecting some confusion. Sometimes there are stitch counts at the end of rows, and sometimes there isn't. Sometimes there is and they are just wrong. Sometimes there is no way the number of stitches can fit in the way the pattern suggests. Most of the time, I just guessed what I was doing, or did what looked best, and it all worked out in the end.

Basically, I think if you've got a bit of crochet experience under your belt, you'll be fine, because you can work most of it out. But it is a bit annoying sometimes having to do bits over and over again to get it right. Especially because I was making three in a row, plus a baby version. Phew!

I love how they turned out but I am happy to get my crochet on with some yarn that isn't bright orange! And it will be nice to just make one of something!

Yarn Used:
  • Hayfield Bonus DK:
    • White.
    • Black.
  • Robin DK:
    • White.
    • Soft pink.
    • Acid Yellow.
    • Jaffa.
Ravelry project page for adult hats.

Ravelry project page for child's hat.

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.