Mario Chain Chomper Tissue Box Cover

September 08, 2017
Sometimes some ideas are too good not to make. Our friends Chris and Kat recently bought a new house, and I decided to make them a geeky tissue box cover. I had seen patterns on Pinterest for ones that looked like Mario question cubes, but I also saw this super cute pattern for a Chain Chomper. I noticed the fact he was chained to a grey cube, and decided I could replace that cube with a grey tissue box cover instead, and have one geeky tissue box!

For the pattern of the actual tissue box I used Twinkie Chan's cheeseburger tissue box cozy pattern, but just did the whole thing in grey yarn. Her pattern calls for a 5mm hook, but that wasn't fitting the tissue box I had tightly enough, so I swapped to 4.5mm to make it a little tighter, and it looks fab.

Mario Chain Chomper tissue box cover

Mario Chain Chomper tissue box cover

Mario Chain Chomper tissue box cover

Mario Chain Chomper tissue box cover

Mario Chain Chomper tissue box cover

I made the chain chomper in the same 4.5mm hook, just to keep everything looking the same rough size.

I made six links for the chain, and then just sewed him to one corner. I also decided to crochet the eyes instead of using felt, as I thought I would end up with a neater finish that way. To make the eyes I did the following:

Eye pupils:
  • 4 dc into magic ring.
  • Join with a slst to make a little black circle.

Whites of eyes:
  • 6 dc into magic ring. 
  • Sc into the first stitch. 2 sc into the next stitch. Repeat until end.
  • Join with a slst.

I really like how this turned out, and I love that it's a bit original because I smooshed two patterns together, rather than just finding a whole Mario pattern to use. 

Yarn Used:
  • Lion Brand Vanna's Choice:
    • Scarlet.
  • Caron Simply Soft:
    • Black.
    • Grey Heather.
  • Robin Bonny Babe Aran:
    • White. 

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.