Owl Mug Cozies

July 02, 2017
Last week was Ivy's last day at her childminders before the summer, as she's going to hang out with my mum during the summer holidays. So even though she is going back to them in a few weeks, I still thought it would be nice to make them some end of term presents.

I wasn't sure what to make (though I got some good ideas for future gifts for them after a thinking session) and eventually settled on some mug cozies. I found this lovely owl pattern by Katerina Cohee which I thought would be something a bit different, as I have made a lot of mug cozies before.

The written pattern was a little confusing. The items list listed two hook sizes (3.5mm and 4mm), but only one part (the beak) actually told you which hook size to use, and I actually forgot to swap so all of my bits ended up being with the 4mm hook anyway (as I just assumed all the bits that didn't specify a hook size were the other hook). It also only told you how to do the eyes and eyelashes one way, so I had to realise myself I would have to do the eyelashes backwards on the other eye to make them face the correct way once they were attached.

And for the feathers, the written pattern didn't actually include instructions, just a link to another blog which had instructions on how to do crocodile stitch. However, I couldn't get my head around changing it from the amount of stitches the blog listed to the grouping the pattern asked for! Luckily, after a bit of Googling trying to find an alternative, I found the pattern maker had also made a video of her working through the pattern, which was much more helpful (and also seems to tell you which hook you should be using). I just watched the belly section through twice, and it was actually really easy once I knew how to make the foundation for the stitches.

Owl mug cozy

Owl mug cozy

Owl mug cozy

Owl mug cozy

Owl mug cozy

I used some cute buttons I had from a previous charity shop haul, and then popped them on some cute floral mugs I bought.

Owl mug cozy

Owl mug cozy

I'm really happy with how they turned out, as they're a bit fancier than mug cozies I've made previously, and actually look like cute little owls.

Yarn Used:
  • Robin Bonny Babe Aran:
    • White.
  • Caron Simply Soft:
    • Autumn Red.
  • Stylecraft Special Aran:
    • Fondant.
  • Vanna's Choice Lion Brand:
    • Beige.
    • Terracotta.
    • Rose.
  • Hayfield Bonus DK:
    • Black.

Raverly project page.

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.