Christmas Presents - Donald's Mum

January 06, 2017
While last year I was really organised and had all my handmade presents ready weeks in advance, this year I was still furiously crafting in the week leading up to Christmas! Whoops! I think this was because I decided to be quite ambitious with a few of my presents, including this spotty dog cushion for Donald's Mum.

Donald's Mum really loves dogs, so I knew I wanted to make something dog related for her, and as I also had a rather large cushion pad in my stash with no plans for it, I decided to make a dog themed cushion.

I could not find a full pattern that I liked for this cushion, so I decided to make it up with lots of different mini patterns.

Here's a peak at the finished object before I talk about all the different bits that made it come together.

Dog cushion

Dog cushion

The main squares for this cushion are made with Squaring the Circle pattern by Spincushions. I made 24 squares with a coloured centre and a white border, and 8 squares that were all white. I think it's quite impressive that I had 24 different colours of Aran weight yarn in my stash to use, and I even managed to finish off a few wee scraps that I had lying around too. The list of all the yarns I used will be at the end of this post and it will be super long, but check it out if you're interested!

Dog cushion

To make the cute motifs in the middle I used the Dog Bone pattern by The Hook Hound, the Paw Print Applique Set pattern by Moogly and the D is for Dog pattern by Repeat Crafter Me. I decided to not do the circle on the face of the little dog, as I was worried my surface crochet wouldn't be neat enough and would ruin his cute look.

So each side has a bone, a paw print and two dogs, one grey and one brown but both with mustard details.

Dog cushion

I joined all of the squares together using Attic 24's joining method, and then joined the two large pieces together with a row of double crochet, sealing the cushion inside.

Dog cushion

It's so nice to make something that's totally unique to me. While I didn't make any of the patterns myself, it was cool to put them all together in such a personal way and have such an awesome finished object. I'm so happy with how it turned out, and it's definitely one of those gifts I was really sad to see go.

Yarn Used:
  • Stylecraft Special Aran:
    • Spice.
    • Lemon.
    • Aspen.
    • Cloud Blue.
    • Fondant.
    • Teal.
    • Magenta.
    • Lavender.
    • Plum.
    • Emperor.
    • Graphite.
  • Robin Bonny Babe Aran:
    • White.
  • Caron Simply Soft:
    • Blue Mint.
    • Grape.
    • Autumn Red.
    • Lemonade.
    • Royal Blue.
    • Orchid.
    • Berry Blue.
    • Robin's Egg.
    • Kelly Green.
    • Black.
  • Red Heart Aran:
    • Kiwi Green.
  • Lion Brand Vanna's Choice:
    • Aqua.
    • Soft Pink.
  • King Cole Fashion Aran:
    • Lewis.
  • Plymouth Yarn Encore Tweed:
    • 100.
  • Hayfield Bonus Aran with Wool:
    • Barley.
Raverly project page.

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.