Friday, 2 December 2016

Snowman Christmas Wreath

Every year I make my mum a Christmas ornament to go on her tree, though her tree may be a little lopsided with the size of the last couple I've made.

When I asked her if she still wanted one this year, she decided she might quite like a crochet wreath instead. Never one to say no to a challange, I obviously said yes.

Thanks to a Hobbycraft email, we decided to go with this super cute snowman Christmas wreath from Repeat Crafter Me. I bought a big polystyrene wreath base from Hobbycraft, but the yarn my mum went for was double knitting, instead of the worsted weight yarn suggested in the pattern, which meant my stitches are a little tigther than the pictures in the pattern show. It also meant I had to chain 40 in the first place to get my piece to stretch around the wreath base.

Crochet snowman wreath

Crochet snowman wreath


I ended up making 25 snowballs, 4 little, 13 medium and 8 large, as that was what it looked like the pattern had used. Though the pattern suggests you might want to glue the snowballs on instead of taking ages to sew them all on, I went for the sewing option so I could get them all sitting exactly how I wanted. It also meant I could sew ones next to each other together in places to make it look neater.

Crochet snowman wreath


The little snowman is so cute, and while I didn't have a flower button like the pattern shows, I did find these quite Christmassy looking star-shaped buttons in my stash, and went for one of those instead.You can get the pattern for the snowman also from Repeart Crafter Me, but just in a different blog post!

Crochet snowman wreath

To make the bunting I used to the same directions in the pattern, but I did it all in one single piece, as it just looked super messy when I made the four flags on their own and then tried to crochet them all together. So I chained 10, then chained 6 for the flag, followed the directions for making a flag, chained 3 for the gap, did another flag, and so on until it was done, and it looks much neater.

Crochet snowman wreath

As my handwriting isn't amazing, I traced this font for the letters for snow, before gluing them on to the bunting.

I decided to single crochet the wreath base together instead of sewing it, as it was much quicker and meant I wasn't messing about with this huge length of yarn all the time. I also embroidered a little "2016" tag to go on the back, as I've marked the dates on all the other ornaments I've made my mum.

Crochet snowman wreath

Crochet snowman wreath

To hang it up I just made a little strip that my mum can loop through the wreath and attach to her door (inside door, don't worry!) with a drawing pin. To make it I just made a big chain, and then did two rows of half treble crochets. I didn't want to sew anything through the wreath to hang it up as I was worried it would stretch the crochet and make it look rubbish.

Crochet snowman wreath

I have to say, I am extremly jealous of this wreath, and sort of wish I was keeping it for myself. I would say I might have to make myself one next year, but we do already have two wreaths on the go already, so perhaps we don't need another one!

Yarn Used:
  • Hayfield Baby Sparkle DK:
    • Little Mermaid.
  • Caron Simply Soft:
    • Autumn Red. 
    • Black.
  • Stylecraft Special Aran:
    • Spice.
  • Robin Bonny Babe Aran:
    • White.
Raverly project page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment