Chalkola Pens & Christmas Windows

December 14, 2016
Since we moved house last year, it's so nice to have a whole lot of extra space to decorate. In our old flat, everything was sort of crammed in one corner of the living room, but it's so nice to have additional places to put decorations, as well as actually being able to hang things on the wall!

This year when I decorated, one thing I did which I have never done before was decorate my windows! But before we get into the photos of my awesome Christmas drawings, let's go back to why I decided to give my windows a festive spruce-up this year.

The lovely folks at Chalkola Chalk Markers sent me a couple of sets of their chalkboard markers to have a go of this week. I'm always super keen to get new stationery to try, but I wasn't sure what I was going to use chalk markers on that would really show off their full loveliness. Then I read that one of the best surfaces to use them on was glass, and an idea was born!

I got both the 6mm pens (which are listed on the packet as 10 party colours) and the Earth Colors, so I had a lovely range of colours to work with.

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

The pens take a little bit of prep time to get them going, but I did them all in one go at the beginning, and after that they were super easy to use the whole time I was decorating my window. Basically, you have to shake them, upright and with the cap on for about 30 seconds, and then pump the nib of the pen up and down until the ink start to flow freely. 

When you first take the lid off a brand new pen the nib is white, and once the nib is full of the coloured ink, you can tell they are ready to go.

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

As I said above, these are great to use on glass, and are specifically to be used on non-porous surfaces such as chalkboards, whiteboards, plastic and obviously glass, as they are super easy to clean off afterwards, just by using a damp cloth or some window cleaner if you need it. Obviously it's still best to test a small area first to make double sure, but I made plenty of mistakes in my window drawing escapades, and it was really easy to wipe it off and start again. I also read reviews online of people who used these markers on things like shop windows and left them up for a number of weeks with no issues, so I'm hoping they'll be just as easy to clean off after Christmas.

While these are recommended for actual chalkboards, it is worth noting they're not recommend for use on chalkboard paint, as the paint can make the surface porous, which would make it difficult to clean off afterwards! 

I have to say, these were super easy to use. After the initial set-up time (which like I said I did all in one go so I would have all the pens ready, so it did take a wee bit of time) the pens flowed really smoothly, and I only had to stop a few times to re-pump the nibs to get the ink flowing again, and only if I was using a specific colour for a long time.

I'm super impressed by how bright they were on the glass, as I was a bit worried they might be a bit wishy-washy when the light was shining through, but the lines are really solid, so all my drawings are super clear.

So let's have a look at my finished window. I had a search on Pinterest for "Christmas window drawings" to get some inspiration for some cute, line only designs that were simple to replicate. You can see the pins I used for the stocking, the snowman, the snowflakes, the Christmas tree and the baubles by clicking on the links!

It's quite hard to get a photo of my handiwork, because glass is obviously full of reflections!

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

And here's some photos from the inside, which hopefully makes things a bit easier to see.

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

Christmas window drawings.

I like to say thanks to Chalkola for providing me with these lovely chalk markers to review. I will definitely be using them to decorate my windows in the future. I'm especially excited for Halloween! But I also think they'll be lovely to use for things like scrap booking and card making. Imagine how lush the colours would look on black card?!

If you would like to pick yourself up some Chalkola chalk pens, I've got an awesome 20% off discount for my readers on all Chalkola products! Just enter the code 20OFFSTR at the checkout when you buy any Chalkola products on Amazon to get your cheeky discount.

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.