Friday, 7 October 2016

Link Yoshi Amigurumi

Last year I made a little Yoshi amigurumi pal for my friend Kirk, and Donald was super jealous of it. I'm not super keen on making the same thing over and over again, so I put the idea of making him one out of my head. However, when I was looking for an awesome Yoshi pattern to use, I did find this picture of Yoshi as Link from The Legend of Zelda by Gallynette, which is Donald's favourite game.


Alas, it was just a picture, and not a pattern, so I sort of put it out of my mind.

However, I recently realised that I could probably work out how to make Link Yoshi a reality. I mean, really it's only different colours added in, and I already had a Yoshi pattern which I knew was rad (the original Yoshi pattern I used can be found here). Even the original maker of the Link Yoshi says she just used a Yoshi pattern and adapted it, so if you wanted to make one yourself, just go for it! (She has also done awesome little cow and Mario versions! Check them out!)

So I went for it, as it was Donald's birthday this week, and here's how he turned out!

Crochet Link/Yoshi

Crochet Link/Yoshi

Crochet Link/Yoshi

Crochet Link/Yoshi

Crochet Link/Yoshi

Crochet Link/Yoshi

It was actually really easy! The bit I was worried about was the main section, as the head and body are done in one piece, so it was a bit dicey guessing where to do the colour changes for the belt, and then for the hair higher up (which is a bit hard to see as it's super light yellow!). The rest was pretty easy, as all the bits were basically the same as original Yoshi. In terms of changs, I did have to do a colour change in the spikes and stitch the Triforce symbol on the shell, but I didn't have to make the belly piece which made things a bit speedier.

I did mean to make his nose cream, like it is in the original picture, but flicking between the actual pattern and the reference picture means I did it green by mistake, but I actually think it looks fine, and perhaps gives him a bit more of a Yoshi look.

I was worried Donald would have no idea what was going on, but luckily he opened the present in a way that he saw the Triforce symbol first and knew it was Link, then revealed the Yoshi face!

I'm really happy with how he turned out and this has definitely inspired me to be more confident in my abilities when it comes to adapted crochet patterns, especially when it's just something that really boils down to just colours changes!

Yarn Used:
  • Lion Brand Vanna's Choice:
    • Chocolate.
  • Drops Alaska:
    • Light grey mix.
  • Stylecraft Special Aran:
    • Lemon.
    • Cream.
  • Red Heart Soft:
    • Kiwi green.
  • Robin Bonny Babe Aran:
    • White.
  • Caron Simply Soft:
    • Royal blue.
    • Black.
Raverly project page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment