Crochet Baskets

October 09, 2016
A little while ago I crocheted Donald a little bowl thing to keep his keys/change/wallet in on a unit in our living room. It was really a way to try and keep all his junk in one place so it wasn't all over the place. It turned out a little smaller than I wanted, but it worked to start with.

However, recently we changed the unit for a smaller set of wicker drawers, with a smaller surface for junk, so I decided to remake the basket so all of Donald's stuff would actually fit inside it and not clutter the top of the drawers.

I also wanted to make one for myself to keep my receipts in, and then put it in one of the drawers to keep them hidden. I used to keep them in my lovely fox basket (which also sits on top of the unit) but they were sort of overspilling and making it hard to get the stuff out the fox that I actually wanted!

I found this lovely basket tutorial on Raverly by Sandra at Cherry Heart, which I really liked because I love her stuff and she made it really easy to make a basket exactly the size you needed, instead of just a standard size. I used a 10mm hook for this, as I used a 12mm hook for my rug, and I wanted this to be a bit tighter.

For the base of both baskets I used to tiny bits of leftover t-shirt yarn I had from my rug, as I thought it would make them quite stiff. I did three rounds for the base and then ran out of both colours of yarn, so swapped to a nice chunky, light brown yarn, which I thought went well with the colour of our set of drawers. I worked this double to try and make the baskets more sturdy.

I made my basket a bit taller so I could stuff all my receipts in it. I also decided to finish off Donald's basket with a row of double crochets, as I didn't have enough yarn to do a full round of half treble crochets, and I thought I might as well just use up as much of the yarn as I could.


Crochet baskets

Crochet baskets

Crochet baskets

Crochet baskets

Crochet baskets

Crochet baskets

So now we have two lovely baskets that are making us a bit more organised, and I finished off three balls of yarn from my stash. Double win!

Yarn Used:
  • Boodles Tshirt Yarn:
    • Green.
    • Grey.
  • Stylecraft Special Chunky:
    • Camel.
Raverly project page.

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.