Crochet Nessie

August 05, 2016
Last week we went to my cousin Lisa's leaving party, as she's jetting off the America for a couple of years to live with her boyfriend and do some more studying for her law degree.

I decided a good leaving present for her would be something Scottish to remind her of home, but also something small that wouldn't be a hassle to pack! I decided a tiny crochet Nessie (Loch Ness Monster) would be perfect, and I have quite a soft spot for Nessie myself, so I knew she would be fun to make.

After a quick look on Pinterest, I decided to go with this free pattern from Raverly by Katherine Dubsky, as he was super cute and came with a little hat!

The pattern ended up really cute, but there were a couple of mistakes in it, like incorrect stitch numbers for some of the decreases, or row 3 appearing twice in the fin pattern. Just keep an eye on the numbers and you'll be fine!

I also had to stop a couple of rows short on the body as I just could not psychically get my hook to squeeze into the tiny space that was left to work in, but it look totally fine, and I don't think you can tell the difference.

I placed my eyes a little higher up that is shown in the pattern, so my hat has to sit a little further back on her head. I also decided to make a little pom pom and stitch it on top of the original hat, so it looked a bit more like a wee Tam o' Shanter hat.

Finally, I finished her off with a wee scarf. I just made a chain that was long enough to fit around her neck, and then did a row of treble crochets to make it thicker. Then a threaded some ends through the edges to make a wee fringe.

Crochet Nessie

Crochet Nessie

Crochet Nessie

Crochet Nessie

Crochet Nessie

I think she turned out super cute, and will hopefully help bring a little bit of Scotland to America!

Yarn Used:
  • Caron Simply Soft:
    • Kelly Green.
  • Patons Wool Aran:
    • Merlot
Raverly project page.

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.