The pattern is from What Delilah Did's Secret Garden Embroidery book. When I bought it I paid a little extra and got a little kit with everything you needed to make up the Arbour Alphabet Flags project from the book. It came with literally all the supplies, right down to the sewing thread and the waste canvas, which was great as it meant I could get started right away.
The designs were stitched on waste canvas over felt, using a number of embroidery stitches. I didn't notice that you were supposed to be using specific stitches to begin with, so had to do a bit of unpicking to get the daisy stitch looking like it should do, but I got there in the end.
I also think my designs are a little more squished than they should be, as I found it quite tricky to get my counting correct, but they looked lovely when I was finished, so I'm not too worried if I'm a square or two off in places.
I really love the colours for this project, and I love how simple it was but how effective it looks. The book says each flag takes about an hour to stitch, which I think was about what I managed them in, so it was actually a really quick project.
I've hung it on the end of her cot just now, though I may move it when she actually moves into her room, as I'm not sure how reachable the knots will be to her!
This project is a step towards completing my New Year's List. You can check out my progress here.
- Clear as many free and purchased craft kits as possible.
- Make things from my huge collection of craft books.
- Craft for Ivy.