Christmas Stockings

December 06, 2015
When we found out we were going to have a little Christmas time baby, I decided I wanted to make some Christmas stockings for me, Donald, and the baby. I thought it would be a nice tradition to start, and then I can always make more if we decide to add any more little people to the family in the future.

There are absolutely loads of free stocking tutorials on Pinterest, but I chose this one from Sew Like My Mom but someone had pinned it as the easiest tutorial they had ever used. I'm not super skilled with my sewing machine, so I like to make it as easy as possible.

These can be made out of fat quarters of fabric, so I bought a job-lot of Christmas fat quarters from eBay, as well as some Christmas ribbon, and got going.

First up we have Donald's stocking.

Christmas stockings

Christmas stockings

Christmas stockings

Next up we have the baby's.

Christmas stockings

Christmas stockings

Christmas stockings

And finally, we have mine.

Christmas stockings

Christmas stockings

Christmas stockings

Now you may notice right away that the ribbon for mine and Donald's is on the wrong side! Whoops! I made the stockings assembly line style, as that's what the pattern suggested, but of course this meant I didn't realise I had done two of the ribbons wrong until I turned it all inside out and arranged it in the stocking shape. I was worried I would ruin some of the neatness if I tried to pull out that much stitching, so I just decided to leave it. To be honest, I'm not sure we have anywhere to actually hang the stockings, so it's not the end of the world with the ribbon on the wrong side. At least I got the baby's one right!

The only other problem I had with the pattern was getting the lining to fit. The pattern suggested moving from quite a big seam allowance on the lining to a tighter one on the cuff and body to make sure the lining didn't bulge on the inside. So while my lining doesn't bulge, it's a bit smaller in some places than it maybe should be, as you can see the toes look a bit empty!

But overall I'm really happy with them. My stitches are neat, they've all got ribbon, they're all lined, and when I turned them out the right way the cuff sits in a really lovely way. I can't wait to get them up when we decorate, even if we don't have a fireplace to hang them on!

This project is a step towards completing my New Year's List for 2015. You can check out my progress here

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.