I'm in the process of making the second blanket for Mini Morrison right now, but the first one is finally finished.
While looking through Pinterest for geeky baby things, I came across this amazing Mario blanket, and pretty much knew I had to make it.
It turns out the Mario-ness is just an addition to an already existing pattern, The Starry, Starry Night Blanket, which you can get the free pattern for here. The Mario version sort of gives you details on how she made it looks like the Mario star (mainly just how to make the eyes on the big star), but you really just have to look at it and make it up to get all the details right. I'll detail what I did below to get my blanket looking the way it does, but first for the fun part, the photos!
First up I did something I've only ever done once before, I blocked this bad boy! I've only ever done that on my Beta Knit sweater kit (which didn't really work), so for this I bought some blocking mats and everything, even though they were cheap, kids playmat versions. I blocked it because it was sort of bubbling up in some places, and I wanted to make it lay as flat as possible before I stitched on the little stars.
The blocking actually worked amazingly this time, so it lies nice and flat now. So here it is all finished.
Guys, I don't mean to toot my own horn, but how bloody cool is this blanket!? I am so jealous of our future child, it's just fantastic.
Here's how I made mine to make it look the way it does, with some things a bit different from the two blankets I referenced, and some of them are the things I added to make it look like the Mario blanket, which I'm sure you could have worked out, but I thought I would be nice and tell you anyway.
- I replaced the last round of the yellow with black to make the star really stand out.
- I decided not to do the cloud part of the pattern, so just went with a white border. This was because I ran out of blue a couple of rounds quicker than I should have, so swapped to the white early, and also because I didn't think having the clouds part was as important when it was Mario based and not night based.
- For the little stars, I used a different pattern to the one you are instructed to use, which is the gapless star appliqué pattern. I just could not get that pattern to work and I got really angry with it so I decided to swap. Instead I used the Twinkler Star pattern from Sandra Paul at Cherry Heart. These just looked so much better when I was finished with them. Because these were all the one size, I made the 12 I was supposed to, but decided to only use 9 so it didn't look too cramped. I'm thinking I'll use the three spare little guys as Christmas present toppers r something so they don't go to waste.
- I did a row of slip stitch in black around each star to make it stand out, and then stitched on some eyes in black too.
- I used the same oval technique for making the eyes as the Mario blanket lists, but made the pupils by just doing the first round in white before stitching those on.
And that's it! Finally finished! To make this I used Caron Simply Soft in lemonade, cobalt blue, white, and black. You can check out my project page for this on Raverly, which I just discovered you can link several patterns to one project, which excited me greatly!
It's such a lovely smooshy blanket, I can't wait to use it in the pram for the no-doubt very chilly winter days when our baby arrives in December.