Rainbow Ripple Baby Blanket

March 08, 2015
Please excuse the amount of photos which are going to be in this post. I am basically totally in love with this project, so it's photos galore, and also I actually made this blanket well before Christmas, but as I've just gifted it I've only been able to share it now, so I'm excited to let it out into the world.

Just before Christmas, I found out that one of the guys at my work and his wife were having a baby. I get very excited by babies, and I also love a chance to make a baby present for someone, so I decided it might be a nice idea to make him a blanket.

There are like a million baby blanket patterns out there, but I wanted to avoid doing a granny one, as I've already made about a million granny projects in my short crochet career. After a quick search of Raverly (and a poll of my Facebook friends), I decided on this pattern, the Rainbow Ripple Baby Blanket (which is free!). I was drawn to it because it looks quite complicated, but it's exactly just loads of triple crochets. I loved the colour progression and the shape, so I went for it.

I went for as close to the same colour scheme as the original pattern suggested. I knew they were having a baby girl, but I love this pattern because it's a mix of all baby type colours and perfect if the parents aren't too into having majorly gendered baby things. I went for Stylecraft Aran in the colours lavender, cloud blue, aspen, lemon, fondant and cream, and then Caron Simply Soft in light country peach, as Stylecraft didn't have a good peach colour in their Aran range.

Baby gifts.

Baby gifts.

Baby gifts.

Baby gifts.

Baby gifts.

Baby gifts.

Baby gifts.

Baby gifts.

Check out my feet for scale! This bad boy ended up pretty big, and I'm not sure if that's because I was doing my triple crochets wrong as I possibly realised last week. I ended up running out of yellow (the last colour where you only needed one ball), so had to order an extra one, but all the rest of the colours worked up as they should.

I am totally in love with this blanket, and sort of sad I had to give it away! I definitely would have kept it for myself if I could have, and I think if we have little ones anytime soon, they might be getting a blanket like this one because it's just so lovely. I just love everything about it, and it is totally one of my favourite things that I have crocheted, or probably made ever in fact!

However, my sadness at giving away an awesome gift is usually wiped away when I see how happy someone is to receive a handmade gift, and my workmate definitely seemed over the moon about getting this. I even got a hug!

3 comments:

  1. Totally awesome! I really want to make this now ... but I better finish one of my other (cough*seven*cough) blanket projets off first! ~___^

    ReplyDelete
  2. o this is lovely, really well done~ No wonder the parents were thrilled! :D I think this would be awesome for non-babies too. I'll just add it to my hoard of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much guys, I'm super proud of it! And yeah totally doesn't need to be baby based, I defo wanted to keep it and put it on my couch.

    ReplyDelete

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.