Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day all. I hope all the mum related people had an awesome day on Sunday. Me and my mum went to see The Kelpies in Falkirk, so it was a pretty awesome afternoon. Now the day has past, I can show you the couple of handmade gifts I whipped up for my mum this year.

First up, I decided to make her a case for her crochet supplies. My mum likes to dip into knitting and crochet just like me, and when I saw this lovely pattern for a crochet case by Messyla I knew I had to make it. It mixes a bit of crochet with a bit of sewing, so it was a little challenging!

Mother's Day gifts

Mother's Day gifts

Mother's Day gifts

Mother's Day gifts

Mother's Day gifts

Mother's Day gifts

Mother's Day gifts

I have to say, I'm pretty proud of how it turned out (even though I had a massive falling out with my sewing machine that night and it took me a bout five hour to get this finished!).

The granny squares are crochet in Stylecraft Special DK in gold and fondant, which meant they were a bit bigger than the pattern suggested, but I don't really think that makes a difference. I also didn't have pink felt for the inside, so I used cream instead. The big lush pink button is free from a set I got in Mollie Makes, and I just love it. The tiny pin cushion is made from polka dot felt.

My mum already has a lot of crochet supplies, so I didn't fill it (apart from with a handy mini set of scissors), but I took a photo of it filled with my supplies so you can see what it's supposed to look like.
Mother's Day gifts

It looks even cuter when it's all filled. Sewing machine melt-down aside, I think it turned out pretty well.

I also made her a little tote bag with mum appliqued on the front.

Mother's Day gifts

Mother's Day gifts

The bag is a little Cath Kidston tote from her Make book, which I just decided to decorate. I used Heat N Bond to attached the letters to the front, but it wasn't super strong, so I did a quick zigzag stitch over the top of the letters in purple thread. My sewing machine still wasn't totally talking to me, and I did end up sewing the back of the bag to the front more than once, but it all ended up okay. It maybe looks a bit messy in place (especially where I had to go back over the stitches with my machine to secure them) but I'm hoping because the zigzag stitch is a bit crazy anyway, it just fits in with the general theme.

As you have to pay for carrier bags in Scotland now, having a few reusable bags like this with you at all times is never a bad idea, so I thought it would be super handy.

So this month I've made two things with my sewing machine (even if I did threaten to buy a new one I was so over using my old one!), which I'm pretty happy about. I'll hopefully continue to get more comfortable with my machine as time goes on, and avoid having totally rage attacks when I use it!

This project is a step towards completing my New Year's List for 2015. You can check out my progress here.

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.