Friday, 13 February 2015

Pussycat Socks

One of the things I wanted to learn to make this year was socks. I feel my knitting and crochet has come on quite a lot, but socks are still something that seems quite complicated. I want to knit and crochet a pair of socks this year, and as I thought the crochet ones would be easier, I went with them first.

I picked the pussycat socks pattern from Simply Crochet issue 20. They are made using thin cotton yarn (Rico Essentials Cotton DK in silver) and look very cute because they have ears and a face.

I've been making them for a few weeks now (I definitely had a bit of second sock syndrome), but I finished them last weekend and I'm super happy with them!

Pussycat socks

Pussycat socks

Pussycat socks

Pussycat socks

Pussycat socks

It's quite hard to photograph these socks when they're not on and make them look nice. I think the way the cotton yarn works makes them lie quite unevenly. Also when I lie them on their sides, it's looks like the two faces are in different places, even though they look even when they are on.

Mostly these were quite easy to make, and my only issue perhaps was with the sizing. I made the medium pair, but I still felt like I had to stretch them quite a lot to get them on, however again this might be the yarn type. They're a lot softer when they are on than I thought they would be, but I'll still probably just wear them as bed/around the flat socks as opposed to wearing them in shoes.

If you're thinking of making some handmade socks, but the knitted ones give you the fear, I would definitely give some crochet ones a shot. These were really easy, even adding the heel wasn't too stressful.

Now I've completed one set of my socks, that just leaves the knitted ones to go! Let's see how those ones go eh?

This project is a step towards completing my New Year's List for 2015. You can check out my progress here.

3 comments:

  1. These are so cute, I also loved your little phone case - Such great makes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. o my glob, these are adorable, I love the little face! I think I need to advance a little bit more in my crocheting before I attempt socks but eee! I'm glad such cute things exist and you did them awesomely. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! These were actually quite easy in terms of crochet stitches, just loads of rounds of either double crochets or half-treble crochets! x

    ReplyDelete