Nordic Shawl

January 18, 2015
If you follow a lot of crochet people on Instagram, you probably won't have been able to avoid the Nordic shawl pattern by My Rose Valley. I saw it cropping up on my feed all the time, and I was pretty confident I could manage it. I'm cold like all the time, so any extra layering is good with me.

I picked up the pattern from My Rose Valley's Etsy Shop, and then spent ages deciding on my wool colours. You need one main colour for the shawl and then another six colours to complete the coloured section, so it wasn't an easy decision. In the end I went for some lovely pastel colours and some silver to complete it.

I've been working on this on and off for a few months now, but I finally finished it recently, which means it'll still get lots of use in the cold months. It's huge and there's so much to see, so please excuse the large amount of photos!

Nordic shawl

Nordic shawl

Nordic shawl

Nordic shawl

Nordic shawl

Nordic shawl

Nordic shawl

I have to say, I'm pretty in love with it! The pattern calls for you to do the lace border in the same colour as the body of your shawl, so for me that would have been purple. However, I ran out of purple very near the end, and decided it would be cooler to do it in all the colours from the coloured section to make it a bit different. You're also supposed to double crochet around the entire thing to finish it off, again in the purple wool, but I did it in the teal wool. I think this made the edging stand out more, and the last colour of the lace border was the teal, so it framed it all nicely.

Please excuse our very full living room while I model the shawl! It really is huge (though my tension might not be the best considering I ran out of wool!).

Nordic shawl

Nordic shawl

Nordic shawl

The finished article may look like it's quite complicated, but don't be put off! I really still consider myself a beginner when it comes to crochet and I managed this no problem. It's a lot of very basic stitches, put together in a way that makes it look amazing! Even My Rose Valley says beginners should find this comfortable, so I would definitely give it a shot if you like the look of it!

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.