Christmas Presents - Donald's Family

January 11, 2015
I'm used to making Donald's family something for Christmas, and I've done it for the past two years. I find it much easier to think of something they would like crafty-wise, rather than trying to buy something for them.

This year I decided to knit Donald's mum a cowl. I had this finger knitting kit that I bought in the Hobbycraft sale before I knew how to normal knit, and it's just sat in my wool stash for ages. The pattern I wanted to make from the kit was a cowl anyway, so I decided to just normal knit a cowl so that I could use the lovely green wool inside.

Knitted cowl

I found this pattern on Raverly and decided to use it, but obvisouly I had to use the wool I had/the needles that went with that wool. That meant that when it came to the decrease part, it made it too tight, so in the end I basically made up the pattern myself. I used the "cast on 60 stitches" from the pattern, but then just knitted till I ran out of wool. I edged it with the last of some chunky white yarn I had. I love knitting on circular needles, it's super easy!

Finally, for Donald's sisters, I decided to cross stitch them a little family portrait. I found this cool tutorial on Martha Stewart's website to help you come up with the patterns, and I draw them out on square paper.

Family cross stitch

Family cross stitch

I decided to cut the stitching out and then put a fabric background in the frame to make them a little less plain. I also used my trusty text tool to mark out the words.

Family cross stitch

Family cross stitch

Family cross stitch

Family cross stitch

Family cross stitch

Family cross stitch

Family cross stitch

Family cross stitch

The photos in the frame are a bit rubbish because they were so shiney and it was hard to get the lighting right. I think they turned out super cute though, and it's nice to make something so personal for a present.

2 comments:

  1. Cute idea to cross stitch a family portrait as a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was fun to do something a bit different!

    ReplyDelete

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.