Wednesday, 17 December 2014

The Embroidered Duvet

When I first started blogging, I read a post on the blog Feeling Stitchy about a stitcher going under the name giddy99, who was stitching an entire duvet set!




I believe I had done very little (if any) embroidery at the time, and was totally in awe of the vastness of the project. You can check out giddy99's Flickr set of her project here, though I'm not sure if she finished it, as the photos just seem to stop! I would love to see what it looks like now!

I've been thinking about this for a few months now, and have come to the decision that I'm going to start a duvet all my own! I want to do this for several reasons:
  1. My embroidery skills are quite basic. I read blogs like Wild Olive and I long to have a better stitch knowledge. I thought I might try and do a stitch sampler, but then I thought it might be cool to challenge myself to just use stitches in my embroidery, and what better way to practise than by embroidering loads of things! 
  2. I have a lot of thread that I need to use up! I bought one of those massive 100 skein packs when I first was learning, but now I just pick up skeins of DMC or Anchor thread, and all these random colours get very rarely used (for fear I'll run out mid massive project and not be able to get the same colour)!
  3. I have a lot of patterns I'm worried I'll never get to stitch. I've got a collection of patterns I've bought or won, in books, and in magazines like Mollie Makes. I want to make them all, but I have nowhere to put them! Now hopefully I can stitch everything! The duvet can be super random, and it doesn't matter. 
I'm still unsure if I want to stitch on the pillows, as I'm not sure how comfy that would be on someone's face! However, I did see this cute picture of a crochet trim on pillows, so I might do that instead, just so they aren't plain!




I've also been collecting free embroidery patterns I like the look of on Pinterest for a couple of months now, because blogs are always giving away lovely patterns, and again I'm always looking for an excuse to make them! You can check out the whole board here, but here are some of my favourite patterns!





















I won't be starting the duvet until the New Year (far too much Christmas crafting on the go) but I'm super excited about it! I feel like I haven't embroidered for ages! I've no idea how long this will take me to finish, but it's a project I can totally dip in and out of, just doing one pattern at a time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment