Friday, 19 December 2014

Beta Knit Pansy Tee Kit

I have some wool that has been sitting in my wool stash for quite some time, that is destined for my first proper jumper. I have the total fear of start the jumper, because I'm convinced I'm going to do it super wrong. I decided to get myself a little practise in garment knitting, I had a bash at my Beta Knit Pansy Tee Kit which I bought last year.

Pansy tee kit

Pansy tee kit

Pansy tee kit

Pansy tee kit

Pansy tee kit

I have to say, I'm not overly happy with it overall (which makes me feel even worse for the jumper I have my eyes on). The yarn the kit used was cotton, and it was a bit of a bother to work with. Something about it made it really hard to pull tight, which meant my edges were really lose and horrible. This in turn meant my seams weren't the best either (as sewing using the not very good yarn was another issue altogether). I also ran out of yarn about 10 rows from the end of the second half, but luckily Beta Knit were lovely and sent me a free ball of yarn to finish it. Also I had no idea how to sew the "made by" label, so it's not very neat!

I did, however, discover how good the Purl Bee is for tutorials, and used them for sewing in ends, blocking, and sewing seams (I used the mattress stitch for this one and it was really good! I'll definitely be doing it again in the future!).

Overall, I'm not even sure I'll wear the tee (it's currently in my pj drawer) because it's so heavy, it drags it down out of shape. It does look roughly the same as the model picture, but I'm just sure it's a style I actually suit.

So I might need a little more practise before I attempt the jumper, but we shall see.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry too much about the sweater knitting! There's only one way to learn and that is to try. And making mistakes it just an opportunity to learn. I probably wouldn't go for cotton yarn in a garment too fast, with different yarn the feel will become totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think I'll be avoiding cotton yarn for a little while now! It just doesn't seem to like me!

    ReplyDelete