Wednesday, 31 December 2014

10 Points to Gryffindor!

Every year my roller derby league, Fierce Valley Roller Girls, does a fun December intraleague game, which is usually themed, to wrap up the year. This year the theme was Harry Potter, which I was more than a little excited about (even though the refs didn't get to dress up or anything). Our junior roller derby league, Fierce Valley Roller Cubs, were also playing, and they played the first game as Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, with the adults representing Slytherin and Gryffindor.

I was approached by one of the lovely Gryffindor ladies and was asked to make a flag for them. A lot of roller derby teams will wave flags with their team name on it as part of skate out, and they wanted a bit Gryffindor one.

I was very excited, and of course said yes, though I was a bit scared as it meant a meeting with my sewing machine. I had a very clear idea in my head of how I wanted it to look, but was worried it wouldn't turn out that way, however I was actually really impressed with the finished result.

Harry Potter flag

Harry Potter flag

Harry Potter flag

Harry Potter flag

This was quite fiddly to make, but I love how it turned out, so all the stress was soon forgotten. I got 1 metre of maroon fabric from eBay (though it's very hard to find actual maroon and not flat out purple), and some gold felt and maroon thread from Hobbycraft.

It was quite a pain cutting out all the letters from felt, but sewing round them all was worse! I had to do it in about 4 sittings as it was stressing me out so much.

Then I attached a massive broom handle to the edge using a staple gun and two kinds of glue! You can see from this photo how big it actually is!

Harry Potter flag

The team were super happy with it, and I got some lovely biscuits and a card as a thank you! It was very awesome seeing them wave it about during the skate out, even though I was in ref mode and couldn't really appreciate it at the time! Here's some action shots of it on the day too!

Photos courtesy of Laura MacDonald

Photos courtesy of Laura MacDonald

3 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! Well done you ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, it's huge but came out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much guys! I don't do a lot of sewing, so it was defo fun to do!

    ReplyDelete