Saturday, 2 August 2014

807 - Giant Crochet Blanket

I started making this blanket about 10 months ago! What! I decided I was going to start making a stash buster blanket to get rid of lots of the spare wool I have hanging around, but I keep flitting between things and it has taken forever to make. But it's finally finished and is definitely the biggest thing I have ever crocheted!

I wasn't sure how to take photos of it, so I took it out to my Mum's and hung it over the washing line because it's massive! 

Crochet blanket

Here's me next to it for scale! Holy moly!

Crochet blanket

I made it to go on our bed because I am the coldest person alive in the winter, and I always appreciate an extra layer.

Crochet blanket

Crochet blanket

I went with a combo of different coloured granny squares and plain coloured ones to mix it up a bit. I really didn't like doing the plain coloured ones as much as the different coloured one. I just don't think they look as neat or as pretty as the coloured ones. I also don't like the way of moving from one round to the next, but I'm glad I powered through and alternated the rows.

Crochet blanket

Crochet blanket

I also used a granny joining, which I've used before and I really like it because it means no sewing! I used all white for the joining because I wanted to contrast all the colours in the squares and also I had loads of white left over to use.

Crochet blanket

Finally for the edging I did a round of double crochet and then a round of scallop edging. I had bought this cute multicoloured wool, which I thought would be a nice contrast to all the white in the middle.

Crochet blanket

Phew! I'm so glad it's finally done! And I'm happy I actually managed it in time for winter!

2 comments:

  1. Well done for finishing it! Gives you such a sense of achievement, doesn't it? And yours looks really lovely. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Yeah this is definitely the biggest thing I have ever made, never mind crocheted, so I'm so happy it turns out! Wool crafts use to be my fear, so it's nice to feel like I'm getting a handle on them now! :)

    ReplyDelete