Monday, 31 March 2014

765 - Mother's Day Gifts

Happy Mother's Day from yesterday everyone! This year I decided I wanted to make my Mum something, as well as buying her a little something, so I decided to make a crochet scarf. I saw a lovely granny square pocket scarf on Pinterest, and decided to buy the pattern from Etsy. However, when I got the pattern, it was a little strange, in that it was telling you to join the squares in a continuous join with the orange yarn, but as you can see from looking at the photo of the listing, it's only edged in orange yarn and joined using another method.

Now the pattern seems like it will make a scarf just fine, but it's different from the photo, and I bought it based on the photo, so I was a little annoyed. I ended up sort of making up the pattern myself to make it work. I really thought I could have worked the pattern out for myself anyway, but bought it to get the join right and that was the one bit that wasn't the same! Oh well!

Mother's Day presents

I made 18 granny squares for the scarf to start with, and joined the squares into one long strip using this method, with an edging round of grey, but it make it far too long. So I doubled them up, so it's 9 squares long and twice as thick, and joined it in another round of grey wool. It worked out a lot better because it feels a lot cozier now and the shape holds a lot better because it's not so long as skinny.

I then made two additional squares that were two rounds bigger than the other 18 (to make up for the two rounds of grey I added to the 18) and then joined them to the scarf with a round of light pink, which I also used for an edging for the whole scarf. Finally I added the tassels and boom, done.

Mother's Day presents

Here's my iPod chilling in the pockets to show them off. I really like this scarf. It's definitely one of those projects I really wanted to keep for myself once I was done! But I only wore it to make sure it was the correct length I promise!

Mother's Day presents

I love how it turned out, and the length is perfect for it having pockets.

I also decided to stitch up a little bookmark kit I had from Cross Stitcher, as I know my Mum loves reading as much as I do.

Mother's Day presents

Mother's Day presents

Mother's Day presents

This bookmark kit worked out a lot better than the one I stitched for myself some time ago, which had fabric that was too small and not enough thread.

Hope you all had a lovely day with your Mum's yesterday! 

2 comments:

  1. Handmade gifts are always the best and your scarf is too cute. Your Mum must have been so delighted x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah she was super happy thanks :)

    ReplyDelete