Monday, 17 March 2014

759 - Granny Car Cushions

If you've ever seen my car, you will know it basically looks like a car that a five year old girl wishes she drove. It's purple, with Hello Kitty seat covers and covered in soft toys. A frequent question I get, when I do give people a lift, is "how much stuff do you have in your car?". Ermm... a lot. But to be honest, I'm usually just driving myself about in my wee Micra, so the backseats are a tad...decorated.

I've had two purple cushions in the backseat of my car pretty much since I got it. They've sat in my bedroom for years (I think I got them for Christmas when I was about 13), and said something like "gorgeous" and "sexy" across the front. As they were purple, they went with my car, but to be honest I wasn't so keen on them.

The idea hit me a couple of weeks ago to crochet them a lovely granny cover. I have lots of little wool packs which I've gotten free, mainly from Let's Get Crafting, but also from Let's Knit and the likes. I kept one pack aside to try and make a pair of cute socks with (eek! I know!), but decided to try and use up the rest of the cute little balls of wool in an aim to help de-stash my collection. I also used some tiny odds and ends I have left over from the chunky granny cushions I made at Christmas. Granny projects are just so good for getting rid of those little bits that really have no other use!

As the cushions are rectangles, I had to make granny rectangles, which I have done before when I made my granny stool cover. I used this tutorial and to be honest, if you can do a granny square, you'll be fine. The only different bit is the first round, after that it's just corners and straights. The photos show both sides of each cushion. As I was using so many randoms balls of wool, all the sides are different.

Granny cushions

Granny cushions

Granny cushions

Granny cushions

I made four rectangles in total, for two cushion covers, and just kept going with rounds till they looked big enough for the cushions. Then I joined them with the last round of bright orange.

Here they are rocking out in their new home!

Granny cushions

I loved this project for so many reasons. 1) My wool stash has gone down so much! I used all the colours I had apart from white and red (as there was LOADS of those) but all the odds and ends I have can be used up, and add more colour to, my giant granny blanket I've been making. 2) I re-purposed some cushions I wasn't uber keen on anymore. 3) My car looks even cuter now! Love them so much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment