752 - Crochet Rug

March 01, 2014
So I've had three balls of chunky t-shirt style yarn that I've had hanging around for ages and I've not really been able to do anything with them. I tired to use them in the big granny square cushions I made from Donald's family at Christmas, but it wasn't really working so I gave up.

However, on Pinterest I had been seeing loads of rugs made out of similar yarn and decided to give it a go. I found this pattern for a round rug on Ravelry and it was surprisingly easy! Just loads of treble crochets.


Crochet rug

Close up of the stitches.

Crochet rug

In the bedroom, where it now lives, with my feet for scale (yes our flat has the same manky carpet in every room).

Crochet rug

I had to use some other wool I had lying around to finish the rounds. I used the bluey stuff which I had won on Twitter and couldn't really find a use for it, so use the whole skein of that, as well as some chunky white stuff I had left over from the giant cushions again.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm very proud that I've crocheted something so big but I'm not totally happy with the colour placement. I think if I'd been buying wool specifically for this project I would have maybe done a certain amount of rounds in each colour, but as it was stash buster, it didn't work out like that. Also I think it might have been better if I'd been able to do it as a spiral as opposed to lots of rounds, as the jumps sometimes don't look the best and the shape is a bit squint. The pattern does tell you how to avoid those jumps but I was worried it would muck up my maths, so I didn't do it!

However, my stash is 4 balls of yarn lighter and I have a nice, comfy, big rug for the bedroom, so I can't really complain!

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.