592 - SNOWMAN!

January 28, 2013
Okay, so I don't usually give up on crafts. If I make a mistake or stop enjoying something, I usually power through and at the end I'm left with that "wow that was a awful but look at the amazing finished result" feeling.  Well not this time.

As you know I've been making my latch hook snowman for quite some time now (like 7 months). It was quite boring to make from the start to be honest. I like latch hooking, but this was basically all white. Ugh. Last night I started the process of cutting it out and putting it together. I have honestly never come across worse instructions for a craft project. The box shows a very happy little girl with her latch hook snowman. She did not make this snowman herself unless she is some sort of genius.

Snowman latchhook

I'm pretty sure I cut the first piece out wrong and even then it took me an hour. Even though the snowman is worked on a gridded piece of canvas, for some reason the cut out guides are marked in half boxes, which makes it very complicated. They really could have provided some pre-printed canvas to avoid all this.

Snowman latchhook

Snowman latchhook

So this was what I did last night in about 2 hours and by the end I was not a happy bunny. I felt I was falling at the last hurdle after spending so long latch hooking the damn thing. I had no desire to finish it and the thought of working on it again when it's so boring/annoying/hard to follow didn't fill me with hope.

So I packed it away in it's box and decided that if I don't have the desire to go anywhere near it for a month or if I'm still angry at it when that time rolls around even if I do try again, then I'm binning it.

Snowman latchhook

I know it seems like a waste but 1) I think I've wasted it by cutting it out wrong anyway and 2) if I'm not enjoying it what's the point! I bought this kit to have fun and make something cool but I'm not feeling it anymore.

Have you ever totally given up on something before?

2 comments:

  1. I've come very close to giving up on a couple of cross stitch projects when I've had to frog a lot and one where I'd left a hoop on for ages and marked the fabric but I can never bin them for some reason! I hope you and the snowman can work things out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh frogging is the worst :( thanks! We'll see how it ones but its not looking good for frosty right now :p

    ReplyDelete

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.