Monday, 14 January 2013

582 - Zebra Town

For those of you who follow me on social network you may already know this, but if not, I do have some pretty exciting news.

Last week I posted this photo.

Stripey :)

For those of you who play roller derby, you'll probably be able to guess, but I've decided to leave competitive skating behind for now and move over to reffing.

As you may know I have issues with my ankle. While other things hurt it, it's not just derby exclusive, but derby is messing with my head a little bit. One issue is the worry of it flaring up mega style, which it has done a few times, so it's always there in the back of my mind. There is also the issues of when we do hitting/contact stuff I'm always like "will this hurt my ankle? If I fall this way will I hurt myself worse? I better not go in for a hit at that ankle and hurt myself". All of which is counter productive to losing my general derby worries and being able to hop about the pack like a pin ball.

General skating, stopping, falling and transitions and stuff are all fine on my ankle, but competitive type stuff messes with it/my head.

I in no way want to leave my league/roller derby in general so reffing seemed like a great opportunity to stay involved! I've not had an on skates ref practise yet, but I'm really excited. My fiancee is a ref for ARRG so I'm hoping he'll impart his great knowledge on to me.

I'm not saying I'll never go back to competitive skating, but just right now it's not for me, so I'm doing what makes me happy/healthy.

I can't wait!

0 comments:

Post a Comment