Saturday, 14 July 2012

410 - What's in my derby bag

Okay, this post might not be interesting to those of you who don't skate. In derby, there is no right or wrong set up for your skating gear. There is certain gear that every skater has to wear, but it's pretty hard to find two girls who have the exact same set up.

So I thought I would show off my skating set up, which may only appeal to derby geeks! So welcome to what's in my derby bag! I've included links to products where I can.

Derby gear

First up we have my skates.

Derby gear

Derby gear

My skates are called Jekyll and Hyde, purely because one of them used to tear the skin on my ankle up something rotten when I first got them. I seem to have broken them in now though.

My actual skates are Riedell R3 Jam Quad skates. These are one of the cheapest but still good for doing derby in skates around, and most derby girls start skating on these. While a lot of people tend to upgrade to something else, I love my R3's. I think if these ones ever die, I'll just buy another pair, but white. Apart from the initial ankle rubbing, I've never had any problems with them.

My wheels are a mix of Fugitive Pushers (black) and normal Fugitive wheels (pink). I would love to say I picked them for some geeky reason, but I picked them because I could get pink ones, and this was a common combo recommended to me by other derby girls. Again, I've never really had a problem with these wheels, and I'm not one for spending a lot of money on loads of different sets of wheels.

Other changes I've made to the original layout of my skates include adding blue squishy bushings, pink wheel nuts, round toe stops , Bones Red bearings , pink toe guards and my own laces.

Phew I guess I have made a lot of changes!

Next up we have pads. You may think spending a lot of money on pads is a waste of time. After all, they're not as sexy looks as skates or anything. However, pads are the big that come between your body and the nice hard floor. So it makes sense to spend a lot of money on them.

Derby gear

Derby gear

Derby gear

My knee pads are Rector Fat Boys, my elbow pads are Anarchy and my wrist guards are Triple 8. I recently swapped to these gloved wrist guards after my old ones fell apart. My knee pads are probably going to need changed soon too, but to be honest, I would probably go for Rector's again. I used to use normal Rector's when I first started, and loved them. Not that many other skates use them, probably because they are quite hard to get in the UK, but I love them.

Derby gear

Derby gear

Derby gear

The rest of my safety gear consists of 187 gaskets for under my knee pads, cut off socks I wear under my elbow pads to stop my skin getting annoyed, my lovely derby number arm bands, my Protech Dent mouth guard and my Nutcase helmet (complete with personalised stickers).

And finally, all the other random crap I carry in my skate bag.

Derby gear

Baby wipes and deodorant for post skating rankness,spare toe stops, mouth guard and laces, my skate tool and tape for keeping your pads taped up.

If anyone says derby is a cheap sport they're lying. You don't need to buy everything I have, as a lot of the thing I have on my skates are upgrades to make skating a little bit easier. However, it's an ridiculously awesome sport, and well worth spending all your money on!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, I've had a what's in my derby bag post in my draft box for ages I really must get round to finishing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha yeah I think it's always quite fun to look at because everyone has totally different set ups! X

    ReplyDelete