Wednesday, 13 June 2012

379 - Couch to 5k

Trainers lose their whiteness! Running in the rain ftw.

So if you wondered why I was sharing a picture of my dirty trainers in this week's Sunday Snaps, it's because I've started running couch the 5k.

For those of you who don't know what it is, it's basically an 8 week programme that can get you from having no running skill, to being able to run 5k. You run three times a week and the runs last about half an hour each, usually with a mix of walking and running.

A lot of people from my work have taken part in couch to 5k, but I was really pushed to do it after Ever So Juliet blogged about starting it herself.

So here's my tools. My trainers, which you've obviously already seen. I also bought myself a lovely running belt to keep my iPhone and keys in when I run.

I also downloaded two apps for my iPhone to help me with my running. First up I got 5K Runner, which tells me what to do for my couch to 5k runs. It makes my music is bit quieter and gives me instructions, and also tells me when I'm half way through, so I can turn round and head home.

Running apps

I also downloaded the Nike+ app, which I've only used twice but is pretty cool. It tracks how far you run, how fast you run kms and actually tracks you via GPS so you can watch your run on the map later. So cool.

Running apps

Running apps

I'm hoping once Couch to 5k is done, I'll be able to keep using the Nike+ app to do distance/time specific runs which should be awesome.

I'm finishing off week 2 tomororw and then starting week 3 on Saturday, and I have to say I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm hoping it's going to help my endurance for skating, which can only be a good thing.

1 comments: