Friday, 30 December 2011

230 - The highs and lows of 2011

As with starting anything new, you're never going to get good at something straight away! And considering how many new crafts I decided to start over the past year, there were always going to be a lot of lows. However, as the year as progressed there have been a lot of highs too, and a lot of things turned a lot better than I could have hoped for. So here are my favourite (and not so favourite) crafts of 2011.

Highs!

My scarf.
Garter stitch scarf

While the first thing most people knit is probably a scarf, you have no idea how proud I am of this bad boy. I've tried to learn to knit so many times before, and for me to make this (with no mistakes) made me very happy!

Trying quilling.
Paper quilling Christmas card

I love this card, I just think it looks so cute and it was so easy to make. I will defiantly be quilling more in the future.

My Stephen King embroidery.
Stephen King's IT for Feeling Stitchy's Covered in Stitches Contest

This was one of the biggest pieces of embroidery I did this year and I made the pattern myself. I'm very proud of how it turned out, and I hope I can come up with more patterns next year.

My Aunt and Uncle's anniversary sampler.
Anniversary sampler for my Aunt

I love this and it turned out so much better than I thought it ever would. When I was over on Christmas day I saw they had it out on the fireplace and it made me very happy.

Lows!

My tissue holder.
Tissue holder

This was one of the first things I sewed and it was a gift for Donald. I didn't have pinking shears at the time and thought my paper edging scissors would work (which they didn't) so I had to cut it all random and didn't like it very much. It's still cute, but not as perfect as I wanted it to be. I'll need to try and make another one some time!

My cross stitch kitty!
Kitty cross-stitch

While I feel I'm quite skilled in cross stitch now, this kitty was a bit of a disaster. I think it took me a good few attempts before I even knew how to split the thread correctly, I ran out of a lot of colours because of this, and I did the back stitch before the cross stitches. Oh lord!


My first attempt at fractional stitches and French knots!
Thank you card

After doing a couple of cross stitch kits I was convinced I could handle anything, however I didn't bank on fractional stitches. As you can see from the bottom of my lovely Russian doll it all went a bit wrong. She was also supposed to have French knots for eyes, not just a single stitch. Oops!

The apron!
Feeling Stitchy April Stitch-along apron

While I was happy with the embroidery on this apron, it was the whole making it into an apron that made it go downhill! I sewed the body part on squint and the neck loop was too long so it sits quite far down your chest. I also decided it would be a good idea to back the apron in red fabric and then sew it together (using no-sew Heat N Bond) which made the whole thing very stiff and made my sewing machine not very happy. I had sewed a couple of small things using the no-sew Heat n Bond but didn't see how hard it was to sew/how hard it made the whole item until I did it on this large a scale. Never again!

The Christmas houses!
Christmas house decorations

I can't follow a pattern for sewing. Fact.

Whether my items turned out how I wanted them or not, I'm still proud of how far I've come, and the mistakes have just made me learn and hopefully become a better crafter because of it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment