91 - Blog Bday Party - Guest post from Ashley at After Nine to Five

May 19, 2011

Birthdays are meant to be for you, right? It is your birthday, after all.

So if I were to make the choice to be on the other side of the world, without phone or Internet service, I think that should be perfectly acceptable. Unfortunately, I don't make the big bucks to just up and leave to another country for a couple of days around my birthday, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to.

My love to travel the world doesn't fuel this wish though. It's the fuss that surrounds my birthday that sends me into hermit mode in the month of January.

After Christmas passes, almost a month later I get to celebrate coming into this world. So, after the new year hits, it's on. "You're almost another year older" echos every conversation, with my lingering response of "Really? I didn't know!" never being spoken. A couple days and then weeks go by, making way for the nosiness to come in: "What are you doing for your birthday? Where are you going? Who are you celebrating with? Are you staying home? Are you going out? Are you going out drinking? Where?"

All of that in the emails, and texts, and phone calls from people I didn't talk to since January of the previous year that want to know. Like somehow, this year will be different and they'll actually keep in contact long enough to appear to care.

I know, I know. I sound like a bitter old woman. But I like to keep things simple. No fuss. No craziness. Just a nice meal and some time with my loved ones suits me. A movie or something low-key where it isn't being announced to what feels like the entire world. And no phone calls would be absolutely perfect. But you know that trip to the other side of the world? That would be pretty fantastic, too.

Happy Birthday, Kim! May it be filled with less nosiness and craziness than mine normally is! :]

xoxo,

ashley

blog / twitter / etsy

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Kim! Hope you have a wonderful day!
    And, I so agree with Ashley, no phone calls and nosines would be perfect on my birthday! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think so too. I could do without all those people that say happy birthday on facebook but don't really care :P

    ReplyDelete

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.