58 - I'm in love...

April 12, 2011
With perler beads. Literally. I sometimes get a rush of craft love, where I decide I'm going to do something new and it's going to be amazing and the best thing ever and that's pretty much what I'm getting right now. It's awesome.

I've been aware of perler beads for some time. In fact, I actually own some (or Ikea's cheap equivilent).

Image via

And some cute little boards (I had more but one definately got melted when left the iron on it in my youth).

Image via
I'm pretty sure all of these ones survived though, I think it was another plain one that died. I'll have to check when I get home. I've made a few things from these beads and always found them really fun. I made love hearts, a little pumkin and a Nirvana face (because those are the sort of things I like when I was 16. I'm not sure what happened to my previous efforts. I get the feeling they may have been charity donated during one of my epic clear-outs as I haven't seen them in a few years. It's not like me to thrown out crafts but it does happen.

That giant jar of beads has sat in my craft box for years now, not being used, but because I enjoyed it I never wanted to get rid of them (unlike the products of my labour apparently).

However today I got really excited about this particular type of craft after browsing Dork Stitch. I've raved about this blog before, as I just love it. It's full of geeky patterns, and best of all they are free. What more could a girl ask for. Anyway, I was reading one post and I noticed a post with pictures of Dork Stitch's work done in perler beads.

Image via
How amazing right? You can check out the girl who made it on her Deviant Art Page. 

So needless to say I am in love. I've been googling pictures of other people's work and there is so much you can do with it! Amazing! I've seen a lot of designing for coasters (such as Mario), and I have made coasters with this before so I think that is a definate must. I may need to buy somethign to sort the beads out though, as I know going through that giant tub to find what you want can be a nightmare. Maybe some tweezers too. If I get it all sorted by the weekend, I may try and make something so I can post pictures. 

Dork Stitch does amazing patterns that seems to look really good when made into perler beads, so that may be my first port of call. Very excited. 

7 comments:

  1. I know! they are so cool, i've got some rainbow color beads !! I discovered them last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah they are so awesome right. Can't wait to get into using them properly. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! It is time consuming and a little hard bcz of the iron temperature, but the final products looks so cool! :) post stuff when you make some! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Defo will, this is how I will be spending my Saturday :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. My best friend made me a Hello Kitty with perler beads last year.
    Then the head fell off. xD
    I keep meaning to have her fix it for me (I'm afraid I'll ruin it if I do it myself).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perler beads are really nice to work with, and it's so relaxing, too! I get sort of infuriated looking for certain colors when doing my bigger stuff, but that's my own fault, really. ^^; I hope you can find something suitable for your projects on the blog, though, and thank you so much for the link! Also, Tabescent's Misty was done and photographed so well- I've never been able to get that super orange stuff to pop up on screen properly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it looks amazing, yeah I think your patterns would be great for doing it, little Lady Gaga's and the like. I don't think my Ikea tub has too many colours so I may need to sort them out them out and see if anything is obviously missing. Exciting times :)

    ReplyDelete

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.