Monday, 11 April 2011

57 - So many books not enough time

I have to be one of the most impatient people in the world. I hate waiting for things. I'll order things online because they are cheaper and then wish I bought them in the shop because at least I would have them NOW! This sort of attitude has lead me to have a lot of craft books, many of which I have never read.

Last night I tried crocheting for the first time, and it didn't go too well. But hey, I've never been good with wool crafts, but I'm trying to work on that. I have the lovely book Stitch n Bitch Crochet - The Happy Hooker in my collection, and I sat down last night to read it. However, after a page or so of information I got slightly bored and started flicking to the good stuff (telling you how to stitch).

I seem to do this a lot with craft books. I don't read a lot of the background information and I simply flick through the patterns. I feel I'm doing it the wrong way I should be reading them cover to cover basically (bar all the patterns of course). But is there a wrong way to to do? I like the make sure I'm being thorough, and I want as much knowledge on a topic as possible. I've realised I bought though lovely Sublime Stitching books and only read them once, and yet I've embroidered a few things since. I've never referred back to see if I'm doing it properly or what.

I think my craft books need a little love, so I'm going to give them a more thorough read over the next few days. Basically just to bone up on the stuff I think I know but it maybe turns out that I really don't.

I also need to read up on my sewing machine manual as apparently I can sew on buttons and embroider with it. Hmm, we shall see.

So am I weird? How do you read your craft books? I just like to jump in with two feet.


And if you feel like reading more about me, then why not head over to Pixie Mama's blog, where she is introducing all her small sponsors for this month (including me!).

2 comments:

  1. I got that book recently too! I tooooo do what you do, i start with the intention of going through them logically, alas my attention span drives me to fast forward to the nitty gritty quickly! I think this might be why it takes me a while to pick things up tho? xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha awesome, it's good to know I'm not alone. I've spent tonight look through a lot of them and I'm not sure how best I learn. Maybe I'm more of a hands on person and if I get stuck I go to the books, because yeah I just get bored reading when I know there is crafting to do be done :P

    ReplyDelete