Monday, 7 March 2011

33 - Tea towel apron tutorial

So, a while ago I made this crafting apron out of two tea towels. I love it and it was so easy to make.

My tea towel apron

I wanted to make another one, but could I find the original pattern? I looked through books and couldn't find it anywhere. It was very annoying. So I decided to just try and make up how I made the first one. And I thought I might as well do a little tutorial for you while I was at it.

What you need:

  • Two tea towels - preferably different colours/patterns so it looks prettier.
  • Thread to match your towels.
  • Twill in a nice complementing colour (long enough to go around your neck and then around your waist).
  • Pins and scissors and a sewing machine.

First take the tea towel which is going to cover your torso. Pin it so it measures around 20 inches in length by 15 inches in width.

Where to sew

The pens in the photo are to show you which sides to sew along. Sew along these three edges.

Next lay the two towel on top of each other. The new, non-sewed towel goes underneath the one you just sewed to make a sort upside-down of T shape. This will be the one that wraps around your waist.

Where to sew

Lay the body towel so it's evenly spread on the waist towel. Overlap the towel so that half of it is overlapping and half of it was above (and therefore will be seen when the apron is worn). Then make sure there is a an even gap on either side of the body towel. Again, the pens are laid out to show you where to sew.

So once it's sewn it should look like this (the right way round). The part where the towels overlap will now be a pocket.

Two pieces sewn together

Last stage is to sew the twill on as shown in the photo.

Apron with twill attached

Attach a length to the two top corners of the body towel. This will be the neck tie. Then attach two separate lengths to the two top corners of the waist towel. These will tie around your waist. Sew these on with the machine, but make sure you can fit it around your neck and tie it around your back before you sew them in place.

And you're done! I use mine for crafting, but obviously you could use it in the kitchen too. The pocket is great for stashing things in when you're crafting so you don't lose them. 

Apron model



Happy crafting.

4 comments:

  1. This is pretty cool! Didn't look to hard either. I may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's not hard at all. I did it last night during Dancing on Ice :D Great fun and tea towels are cheap and really nicely patterned so you can mix and match. It's great :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so cute!!!! I want to make one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should! So easy, and you can make it in any pretty patterned tea towels you can find.

    ReplyDelete